NICHOLS HAT TRICK SEES ROVERS INTO NEXT ROUND

 Percy Stephens Cup; Second Round

PENDEEN ROVERS RESERVES FC 3 ST KEVERNE FC 1



This was my first choice of a fixture for the first game during our two week stay of our holiday, but after a bad storm overnight and heavy rain until 11am plus thunder and lightening, I was beginning to look  at 4g grounds to play the safe card. I rang the Rovers secretary but no answer but Jeff from the Saints informed me the match was on.

On arrival from a miserable wet Hayle, we arrived, well in the village did, as the postcode took us along the main road, but we did find the ground in blazing sunshine.

One of the volenteers saw me on my mobility scooter and greeted me to the club, then told me they did a programme, so off he went to get me one, then he came back as his wife had sorted me a few other programmes for me, I asked if they did a club badge to which they did and there was a clubhouse there and a stand that faces the sea. What a cracking ground with good people who run it, nothing too much for them. I then met Jackie who was the home number 5's partner.

I got the team sheets from both clubs and settled on the halfway line opposite the stand, with no referee, I did say I wouid ref one half as my scooter does do up to 8 miles a hour, but I turned down being a Assistant Referee running the line.

The game kicked off and it began at a fast pace from end to end but no end product, but after 10 minutes, the ball was crossed over to the right wing, where ANT NICHOLLS drove the ball low into the far corner of the net from acute angle of 25 yards to put the Ressie team 1-0 to the good.

Rovers looked dangerous as they attacked down the left side wing, but quite a few shot flew out the ground, the Sasint pressed forward but just couldnt get that final ball to a attacker.

In the 28th minute, a mistake in the Saints defence saw the ball being failed to be cleared and it fell to ANT NICHOLLS to weave through players before striking the ball home to double his teams advantage.

Just on the stroke of half time came a chance for the Saints to get back into the game, when a crisp shot was heading at speed to the  bottom corner, but the homesters keeper dive and managed to push it away one handed.

The start of the Second Half, id moved round into the stand and the Saints began to press a lot more forward and direct and on 58 minutes were awarded a penalty to which MATT RUSE stepped up to reduce the score, so game on.

The Saints kept pressing for that goal to get them back on to level terms but this left gaps for Rovers to also break and press and on 66 minutes, ANT NICHOLLS beat the offside trap and sweetly placed the ball past the keeper to make it 3-1 and complete his hat trick, but he was then subbed straight away as he was limping.

Both teams then went forward for more goals but both defences held tight and it was the Rovers that progress into Round Three.

Id like to thank Jackie form helping me to get from the stand to my mobility scooter, the lady who was doing the refereshments bar,  her husband the barman and the gentleman who told me about the programme.

With the 4 goals scored that means another £1 thats gone into the Charity Blog Bank Account, which this years is for the MOTOR NEURONE DISEASE SUPPORT GROUP with a running total of £1,957.75p

If anyone would like to make a donation, the Charity Blogs bank details are as follows:

AROUNDTHEGROUNDS CHARITY BLOG

Sort Code: 30-98-97

Account Number: 70342862

To view the 314 photos from the match, please click this LINK


No comments:

Post a Comment

THE SAINTS MAKE IT FIVE UNBEATEN

 Kernow Stone St Piran League: Division One West ST IVES TOWN FC 3 WEST CORNWALL FC 0 From our holiday base, St Ives Town FC is possibly one...