NEW GROUND IN STORMY WEATHER IN TRURO

 South West Peninsula League: West Division

TRURO CITY RESERVES FC 0 PENZANCE AFC 0


A few months ago, I bumped in to old friend(well we arent getting any younger) Phil Hiscox(MR SWPL) in my neck of the woods, Im not sure if he has recovered from the visit of North Nottinghamshire. He told him we was down on holiday at Hayle for a couple of weeks and he mentioned that I could visit the NEW Truro City Ground, where their reserves were hosting Penzance. I put this on my facebook group called Non League Grounds of England, Wales & Scotland, where I got banter from folks who said I couldnt class this as a visit from the groundhop police, as it wasnt their first team playing, to me, its a league match and at a ground thats new.

The club for yeara have been in the news about a new ground and even their first team not only had to play in a different town but several counties, but finally for the start of this season, they returned back to their home city.

This will help the club get more local players and also bring in local support and sponsorship, which all clubs are in need of

With being on a mobility scooter, I rang the secretary JENNY BLADON to ask if there was any disabled parking and she said that she would make sure that she would cone me a parking spot for my arrival.

On arrival, a chap come running down to the cones to remove them and welcomed me to the club, we parked up and Hazel said oh look there is a chap waving at us in the next car, it was Terry from Dorset with his wife, he had been asked at the cones if he was me lol.

The weather looked decent and warm and made my way over to the disabled gate to which Jenny greeted me  and got me a programme and took my admission fee, it was lovely to meet this jolly lady.

Next it was the 50/50 raffle man and we had a chat and he was saying they still had quite a bit of work to do, but like new grounds, things dont take 5 minutes to do, I bought some tickets, no idea if I won or not, so if I did, send the cheque to the local childrens hospital ward.

At present they havent got a club house but a massive marque that sells food and drinks etc.

Behind one of the goals are the changing rooms and also a scoreboard as the photo above, the score didnt change from the first minute to the 90th minute. To the far side of the ground is a seated stand and a disabled seating, plus a pull back area to fit in wheelchairs and mobility scooters and 2 seats for carers, thats where me and Terry sat and chattered all game.

Behind the other goal was standing stand.

Before the game, a chap who ive known for years and cant remember his name from Swindon came up and said hello with his friend and said hello and we had a chat and up in the stand was a young lady who I managed to grab a photo of the teamsheet off to type up the scorers(yes I know there werent any lol)

The game kicked off and it was very even with both sides going very close, but also both defences on top.

On the 30th minute, the visitors thought they had scored, the ball came in from a left sided corner to be headed and bungled into the net, but the eagle eyed referee was very correct in seeing the push and disallowed the goal, as he signalled for the foul, he must have signaled for the rain as well, as it bucketed it down.

Half time came and the rain got more heavy and I got more wet even under cover, well I should have worn my waterproof trousers, but you can always tell the hardy locals of Cornwall, as no matter what the weather is like, they were a brown pair of shorts and |I spotted one with a pasty in his hand!!!

The Second Half and the Pirates of Penzance began the game the stronger pressing forward and forcing the home keeper in to 3 excellent saves, Truro then countered back and it was the turn of the visiting keeper to be called in to action on 3 or 4 turns of good goalkeeping, this really was a match of which keeper would get man of the match.

The rain became heavier but the pitch looked in first class condition as the players looked like drowned rats and as the final whistle went, Im sure I saw Noah's Ark float across the pitch.

Basic Sum Up: Truro City Reserves volunteers were friendly polite and helpful, both sets of players and fans not only a credit to their clubs but also to their League.

Going back to MR HISCOX, he was a bit under the weather tonight, so couldnt make the match, but I know you will all be hoping he is soon better and back pitchside

The Charity Blog's running total to MOTOR NEURONE DISEASE SUPPORT GROUP currently stands at £1,957.75p, if anyone would like to make a donation no matter how small, you can do a bank transfer to:

AROUNDTHEGROUNDS CHARITY BLOG

Sort Code: 30-98-97

Account Number: 70342862

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE SAINTS MAKE IT FIVE UNBEATEN

 Kernow Stone St Piran League: Division One West ST IVES TOWN FC 3 WEST CORNWALL FC 0 From our holiday base, St Ives Town FC is possibly one...