COLLIERY'S TREBLE SEES THEM TAKE THE POINTS

Central Midlands Premier Division South

LINBY COLLIERY WELFARE FC 3 HOLBROOK SPORTS FC 0

Att: 72 (headcount)


With the Notts Senior League kicking off until next Saturday, today the Central Midlands League opened their campaign for the season, having looked through the fixtures, I spotted this match and had good reason to attend as Ive not been to friendly club Linby CW for about 10 plus years and wow what a great they have done with their ground. The pitch looked superb, some may say well it should do this time of season, but people tend to forget last season when we had all the rain where clubs couldnt get on their pitches.

I spoke on the phone to the club secretary and Linby had coned off a area in the car park, so hazel could park up and get my mobility scooter out and we were soon greeted by the friendly faces of the home committee and welcomed. Got a very good programme and was soon supping a nice cuppa.

In came my old friend Ibby, todays match Referee with one of his assistant referees who must be the tallest official ive ever seen, Ibby just before kick off found me to let me take a photo of the line ups.

AS I came outside in to the beautiful sunshire, I saw a face I knew and it was Steve who had travelled up from London by train to see the game.

I took up position on the halfway line on my scooter and the giant Assistant Ref was on my side, Im sure he wanted his photo taking and he was a happy chap. I began chatting to 2 faces I knew and they were Linby supporters ive seen for years and years, but then soon joined by Marcel who is a good friend of mine Jim Bethell and we spoke till half time, but on the pitch, it was a very even affair, but after 16 minutes,  Welfare were awarded a free kick on the left side, which was floated to the back post and JOSH WASS rose and headed the ball that clipped the underside of the crossbar before bouncing in to the net to give his side the lead.

Holbrook upped their game and had a couple of chances that went wide or the home defence dealt with.

Half Time came and Marcel asked if I wanted a drink and I told him my wife was in the tea room knitting and asked if he would ask her to get me a bovril, he came back and only when I got home did I find out that he had bought it for me, so thankyou Marcel.

Soon in to the Second Half, we was joined by Steve, so the three of us chattered and had counted the crowd as 72, but after the match Adie reckoned it was over 95, I must go for another eye test lol

The game was swinging end to end, but they always say there are turning points in games and this was the case in the 70th minute, as a similar cross from the right side by Holbrook and a header smacked the crossbar and was cleared, within 2 minutes, a quick move up the right side saw a inch perfect cross to find the head of RORY SMITH to hit the back of the net to make it 2-0.

Holbrook pushed forward and forced the home keeper in to 3 excellent saves but this left gaps at the back and on 78 minutes a good move ended with a lovely strike by ZACH HAMILTON to make it 3-0 and wrap up the opening days three points.

I felt all 3 officials had a superb game and after the match the referee Ibby kindly donated £9 to the Charity Blog which is in aid of the MOTOR NEURONE DISEASE SUPPORT GROUP, so a BIG thankyou to him and to Adie of Linby who has also kindly donated £20. Linby CW also didnt charge me to go in, so Ive also put the admission money in to the charity blog account.

The Charity Blog Bank Details are as follows:

AROUNDTHEGROUNDS CHARITY BLOG

Sort Code: 30-98-97

Account: 70342862

To see the 176 photos from the match, please click this LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE SAINTS MAKE IT FIVE UNBEATEN

 Kernow Stone St Piran League: Division One West ST IVES TOWN FC 3 WEST CORNWALL FC 0 From our holiday base, St Ives Town FC is possibly one...